Many types of connectors are used throughout the medical industry. These medical connectors come in a wide variety of styles to meet the needs of diverse applications. For example, some connector products are used to make electrical connections to medical machines or systems, while others latch and unlatch medical device tubing. They can be designed for one or multiple systems and can transfer power, signal, and data.
It is essential that medical connectors be simple to use and connect and disconnect with ease. A well thought-out medical connector will feature an intuitive design that ensures untrained users won’t cause damage to the product or system. At Connectronics, we specialize in developing durable, cost-effective medical connectors that are easy to use, industry compliant, and superior in quality.
Types of Medical Connectors
Medical connectors are an essential component of many medical devices and come in several types. Some of the most commonly used connectors throughout the medical industry include x-ray connectors, hospital-grade metal-clad or MC cable connectors, mass spectrometer (spec) connectors, and more. Other common connector types include:
- Electrical connections: Electrical medical connectors must be reliable as they are commonly found in frequently used equipment, such as MRIs, surgical, and therapy systems. Some electrical medical connectors must be able to withstand high temperatures and a high number of mating cycles. To avoid accidental disconnections, many connectors designed for electrical applications feature a push-pull mechanism that ensures reliable performance.
- Tubing connections: There are several varieties of tubing connectors, including lures, fittings, and quick-disconnect couplings. These types of connectors help transfer liquid and air media throughout medical devices. Other types of tubing connections include latch and unlatch medical connectors. These types ensure secure pairings and fast detachments.
While connectors designed for medical-related applications can vary in type and purpose, they feature several similar characteristics. They must be highly dependable, corrosion-resistant, and integrate easily into existing medical device systems. Typically, these components are manufactured to connect and disconnect quickly and easily and designed to deliver with minimal downtime, as well as feature a watertight seal when necessary. All types of connectors for the medical industry, regardless of which specific application they will be used in, must be safe and hygienic.
Applications of Medical Connectors
Medical connectors play an essential role in many medical devices. In all medical-related applications, durability and performance are key considerations. At Connectronics, we understand the challenges of medical-related connectors and develop innovative solutions that perform reliably. Our connectors are widely used throughout the medical industry, including in the following applications:
- Disposables: Blood gas analyzers, electrophysiology catheters, invasive probes, painless needle systems
- Imaging systems: CT scanning systems, diagnostic imaging systems, digital x-ray machines, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), positron emission tomography, ultrasound
- Surgical and monitoring systems: Automated external devices, dental tools, endoscopy, home health monitors, hybrid operating rooms, infusion pumps, patient monitoring, portable and wearable devices, surgical and medical equipment, surgical robotics
Applications for medical connectors frequently involve exposure to harsh conditions, including frequent cleaning, sterilization, radiation, and more. These factors play a critical role in medical connector design and development. Connectors from Connectronics are produced using the highest quality materials and designed to meet all industry-related requirements.
Medical Connectors from Connectronics
Medical applications require connectors that attach safely and are calibrated accurately. Since connector applications within the medical industry involve equipment that demands reliability, it is important to select expertly manufactured products. Connectronics Corp. has over 30 years of experience providing the highest quality connectors for the medical industry.
Connectronics offers superior products suitable for the highly demanding operating environments of the medical industry. We provide several varieties of high-voltage and high-current cable assemblies and comply with ISO 9001:2015 requirements and AS9100D quality management systems. Our certifications and quality management systems assure our clients that we deliver exceptional quality, industry-compliant connectors, and cables that ensure reliable performance.
To learn more about our medical connector products and manufacturing capabilities, contact us or request a quote today to get started.